Practice and test yourself in a variety of languages
- Good variety of language options
- Can add new vocabulary and pronunciation
- Comprehensive help and tips
- Some language installations require restart
- Cannot toggle options in the middle of a session
- Cannot skip words
Practice makes perfect, they say, and never have truer words been spoken than when it comes to learning a new language. WordBanker is a multi-language program that allows you to learn new words and be tested on them, "banking" a store of new vocabulary as you go.
WordBanker really does cover a wide variety of languages - Arabic, Chinese, Croatian, French, German, Greek, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and Swedish, to be precise. Before you start, you must download each language pack from the WordBanker website - this is free, but obviously requires an Internet connection. Once your languages are installed, you are ready to set a daily time goal, chose your language combo and get practicing.
WordBanker has two modes - Practice and test. In the Practice section, the program reads out the word in the foreign language and in English. You then repeat the word as many times as you need to commit it to memory. The foreign languages are read by native speakers, while the English is read in a British accent. You then enter WordBanker's test mode, where you have three test options - multiple choice, hear the word or type the answer - to check how well you have absorbed the new vocabulary.
WordBanker includes a number of other functions that are pretty handy, such as the ability to print vocabulary lists, import and export your own glossaries, create a practice MP3 and record your own pronunciation of new vocabulary. WordBanker also summarizes your current session and provides you with a small report when you have finished - an easy way to let you know if you are keeping up with your practice commitments!
There are a number of settings in WordBanker and they can be accessed from the menu at the top of the screen. Remember that the visible options change depending on what part of the program you are in, so if you can't find a setting, exit the screen you are in and see if it appears. In all, WordBanker is a useful little program for practicing basic vocabulary, especially if you are learning multiple languages. It is probably too basic for more advanced learners, however, although WordBanker can be made slightly more difficult by hiding possible answers, an option that can be toggled in the configuration settings.
For beginners and intermediate learners, WordBanker is a excellent opportunity to expand and cement your vocabulary.
- Join your unbanked words to create single practice MP3's. Ideal for using with your portable mp3 player or burning onto MP3 CD's so you can practice on your way to work Record yourself and compare your pronuctiation with a native speaker. Option to cover the multiple choices to remove the "visual clue" Improved interface for creating and editing words Print lists of your unbanked words Backup utlility Add words to your standard as well as custom categories Restrictions Removed in evaluation version Add unlimited words to your custom categories Single or mutliple user mode